Hi There

Welcome to Klub Exile. If you happened to make your way to the site either from Lovers Lab or a Search on Google, we are glad you found us.  To unlock the entire site you will need to have a account registered.  Don't worry it is free but in the mean time you can read up on why we made the site and other little tidbits.  Feel free to join or Discord Server also if you have any more questions.  Thanks for stopping by and See You on the other side.

Klub Sentinel Klub Sentinel

Having trouble with Hook5 Skins/Universal Skin System.

sheb0p

When I downloaded and installed this game I got version R.  On the notice about Updates Q and R it says "Some time later K17 also released an Update R, this update modifies and moves a significant amount of addons to different categories.".  Does this affect Hook5 skins?  I can't seem to use them at all.  I have tried following the directions in the Universal Skins Guide but I can't seem to find the setting for the default skin.  (4x/2x skin selector).  I am currently using the Jasmin Skin as the base skin.  I also have one other skin that seems more compatible but the areolas are on the bottom right side of each breast... not sure why.   Either way though I cannot find that slider on any skin I have tried.  Not sure where to go from here as I am a noobie and completely lost.  I don't think the Jasmin Skin has a skin definition file... so maybe that is the reason?   It says it is hook5 compatible though.  Can someone please help?

• Administrator

I have not tried or tested Update R, and I have no intentions to as the category moves are meh to me.  That said it should have no impact on using Skin Layers.  The 4X/2X/1X skin selector is part of the 4x enabler mod here:

Ultimately you kind of have to understand how skin layers work.  They ultimately bypass the normal textures in the skin folder so you can use which ever textures defined in the skin definition file.  So even if you are not using a 4X Mod you need to pass the skin files correctly.

So if you have a 4X skin as your base (Very Unnecessary), your skins will be using the "mod_" naming convention as the suffix.  So something like "mod_female_white_body.png".  You also need a pass file for this which would be "mod_female_white_body_pass.png"  this pass file should contain the information pointing or passing your skin to the skin layer system.  It usually looks something like below:

[pass]
name = CustomSkin
skin_data_layers = SkinBody
tessellation_level = 1
cotangent_mode = 0

Notice how it is passing to a skin data layer instead of the usual stage 2, 3, etc..in a normal H5 skin pass file.  This is why you don't need a real texture files in this folder. You don't need H5 maps at all in this folder (unless of course your using it in the skin definition).  It is just a large file taking up space that will not be used. I use the 1X black or clear files as my base.

Attached is my base.  !Customizable_Base.7z Mind you it is only an example.  The _skin_base.txt is set to where I have stored my files for the skin system.  This will vary user to user as there is not a set specific place where you have to store your files.  As long as you have the directory correct in your definition, you can store them wherever you want. My base is using a minimal 1X skin as the stub.  No reason trying to use a heavy 4X texture that will not be used. If you load this skin it will most likely not work at all initially as you will need to populate the _skin_base.txt with your values.  Once you do...save it, then use it as your base for skins going forward.  Just copy and paste the folder to for a new skin.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Do Not PM Me For Request - Put Your Request in the Forums

@HDiddy , I will respond to your comment above in more depth later (probably tomorrow) as I don't have a lot of time right now.  However, two issues are pressing. 

First, I can't even get the skins that come with the Skin system to work.  When I click on the "Skin" option after pressing F4 and look at the active skins, it is completely blank (unlike the picture in the guilde...).   Perhaps I am doing this wrong (I haven't found any instructions in the guide yet on how to select a skin in Hook5, though I am only a few pages into it).   I can't find any place to activate a Skin.  I tried "hook settings" and "Load From" and browsed to the skin folder and found a bunch of skins but when I select a skin and click apply, it doesn't work.  Perhaps I am doing it wrong?.

Second, several of the mods I have downloaded already have pass files.  I am assuming that means I can use them but I am not sure how. (similar issue to above... where do I add/change/deal with settings on layers?).

Edited by sheb0p

• Install an existing H5 skin folder to your /Activemod 

for example:

• Select this skin in custmizer for your model
  • Open F4 selekt skin
  • If this is still empty, go to /Binaries and delete the file imgui.ini
  • Retry
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Bbird, I did that.  When I select that skin, the hands and feet become invisible and the skin is completely black (as though the body textures are missing) except for the nipples and eyes and possibly the mouth.  Is this supposed to happen?  However, I do get an Active Skins now.  This doesn't seem right.  The weird thing is that I still have the same number of skins as I had yesterday.  So some part of this skin must already be installed (possibly incorrectly).  I checked by removing the mod that you linked.  Sure enough.... when I select the same skin, the body is all black but the head shows up.  Something must be wrong with my setup.  I posted this question in help.  It might help explain why I am having trouble.

Edited by sheb0p

• Administrator

Honestly I think your issue is more or less not setting something up correctly or trying to rush through setting up and effectively missing key parts of the guide. I say this because much of what you are saying was explained in the guide. Not to mention your response to what I sent you, makes me feel like you didn't even read it. That said a few points...

You don't get "The Skins that come with the skin system to work".  They are layers you apply they simply do not show up in your menu.  If you went through the guide step by step you will see that something using the skin system will use the same type of skin folder as a normal H5 skin.  As I said before the difference are what the pass files point to. You need to enable the skin by actually selecting it in game (Also covered in the guide). Once you select the skin if it is using Skin Layers you will see it in the menu.

I highly advise you take your time and read through the guide.

Important thing to know about skin system:

- you dont need 4x mod as this will be handeled by the skin system. Use 1x for everything

- use facehack in option manager so the face will load propper. no need for alt r

- skin system is based on 2 skins. first 1 will go into activemod and is the base that would be loaded as the skin to the model. Once you load this skin it will open up the skinsystem in hooks F4 gui. So this skin is a placeholder. this will also have the file that points to the _hook5data skinfiles.

- second one will be in the _hook5data. this will replace the placeholder in activemod. you can add every skin you want. even the 4x skins. make sure the diffuse, norm and spec and sub are set to the right size of the texture. otherwise the seems will not match.

There is a download here for a nice database of skin textures here 

- So if you have the base universal skin system  from the hook libs you can add one to the activemod - set it as the skin to your model in game - open hook GUI - go to skins and build up your textures you want ot use from there.

every time you want to add a new skin. do the step above but change the name of the folder and do the same again.

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2022 at 4:07 AM, sheb0p said:

@Bbird, I did that.  When I select that skin, the hands and feet become invisible and the skin is completely black (as though the body textures are missing) except for the nipples and eyes and possibly the mouth.  Is this supposed to happen?  However, I do get an Active Skins now.  This doesn't seem right.  The weird thing is that I still have the same number of skins as I had yesterday.  So some part of this skin must already be installed (possibly incorrectly).  I checked by removing the mod that you linked.  Sure enough.... when I select the same skin, the body is all black but the head shows up.  Something must be wrong with my setup.  I posted this question in help.  It might help explain why I am having trouble.

This happens beacuse here @HDiddy uses skins which aren't a part of the current version of Universal Skin System, like "maturemilfskin.06" (there's only "maturemilfskin.05" tops) and "sammrchssn.realistic".

I guess this was only posted as an example, not for you to use.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Wapitawg said:

This happens beacuse here @HDiddy uses skins which aren't a part of the current version of Universal Skin System, like "maturemilfskin.06" (there's only "maturemilfskin.05" tops) and "sammrchssn.realistic".

I guess this was only posted as an example, not for you to use.

The skins I use in my game are really not an issue here. Especially because for the most part they are not referenced in the guide.  Most people will curate their own personal skin layer collection over time some they may share some they may not.

That said, his issue could be a multitude of problems but all stem to one thing. The textures his skin definitions are pointing to are wrong.  The thing about the universal skin system is that you can basically put things wherever you want, so one persons method may not match another person method.  Which is why it is key you understand what it is doing instead of just trying to copy and paste a bunch of files.  For example @Smoke puts his Skin Layers outside of the _hook5data folder, so if you just copy and paste something @Smoke posted it may not work if you put your Skin Layers someplace else.

If folks are not willing to understand how something actually works, it makes it next to impossible to troubleshoot the issue.  Especially when they post next to nothing to help resolve their issue...you know...files, screenshots, etc...

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, HDiddy said:

The skins I use in my game are really not an issue here. Especially because for the most part they are not referenced in the guide.  Most people will curate their own personal skin layer collection over time some they may share some they may not.

That said, his issue could be a multitude of problems but all stem to one thing. The textures his skin definitions are pointing to are wrong.  The thing about the universal skin system is that you can basically put things wherever you want, so one persons method may not match another person method.  Which is why it is key you understand what it is doing instead of just trying to copy and paste a bunch of files.  For example @Smoke puts his Skin Layers outside of the _hook5data folder, so if you just copy and paste something @Smoke posted it may not work if you put your Skin Layers someplace else.

If folks are not willing to understand how something actually works, it makes it next to impossible to troubleshoot the issue.  Especially when they post next to nothing to help resolve their issue...you know...files, screenshots, etc...

100% agree. That's why I dubbed your input as an example, since it was only that – and the person needing help apparently didn't know that, trying to put your settings into their game without much of a consideration.